Book 3 of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras pertains to the higher stages of meditation and meditative capacity as well as the innate powers or abilities that will naturally come forward through harnessing such meditative capacity. As my preamble states, subtle powers are innate to all human beings, and one thing brings them forward: meditation. Book 3 gives the curt yet precise instructions to do so. In each case, “do this and that will result” is the nature of the sutra.
I want to encourage those interested in the Yoga Sutras, in meditation training, or in bringing forward the innate powers for reasons of service to participate in my free online lecture Thursday night, June 18 at 8 pm on The Power of Meditation. Furthermore, please consider taking the four week online course in the same.
We spent about a half hour discussing Sutra 49 and its implications. The first section (#1) speaks of the innate factor of these powers and the necessary stages of the Path to the erosion of the ego and to the refinement of the inner powers.
- LOS book 3 setting the stage for the last sutras
- LOS book 3 sutra 49a conditioned and unconditioned sattva and Purusha
- LOS book 3 sutra 49b flawless steps – trust and put concepts aside
- LOS book 3 sutra 49c accessibility of omnipresence and omniscience
- LOS sutra 49d application
- LOS book 3 sutra 50a not getting caught in egoity with the powers
- LOS book 3 sutra 50b & 51 Awareness as it IS and correcting misunderstandings regarding tantra