Swami Vivekananada calls Book 3 of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras “the powers.” The reference is to the power of meditation and the higher realizations and siddhis that come with those higher states. Siddhis is a Sanskrit word which means “accomplishment” or “achievement” or magical power. Of course any “power” born from awakened consciousness will seem as magical to those less awakened, hence the term magical power being used over the millennia. These include clairvoyance, direct cognition, levitation, reading energies, and such, ultimately to include immortality, which Patanjali had achieved.
We include translations of the sutras by Vivekananda along with Alice Bailey for our discussion. His book is called, Raja Yoga.
- Light of the Soul, book 3 sutra 9 with Vivekananda
- Light of the Soul, book 3 sutra 9 and a recap of Patanjali’s method thus far
- Light of the Soul, book 3, sutra 10, using the will to achieve concentration
- Light of the Soul, book 3 sutra 11 applying the antidote to the wandering mind
- Light of the Soul, book 3 sutra 12 time adjusting through meditation
- Light of the Soul, book 3 sutra 13 and 14, time, state, kingdoms