Highlights and sections of the podcast of Sunday’s discussion
- complimenting Bailey on her commentary of Sutra 41 to set the stage for 42-47. This led to an explanation of how the Knower arrives at the state of collapsing the Knowledge and the field of knowledge into a a refined state of meditation and identification, thus into an unified state of realization. LOS sutra 41 again, excellent explanation of meditation, knower, etc.
- Sutra 42 brought an in-the-life pondering for a participant. She used the farmers market as a place of practice for the energy, the idea, and the nature of the objects she encountered. It is an excellent example of experimenting with the teachings to expand the mind. LOS sutra 42 and the farmers market
- Continued thoughts generated by Sutra 42, but specifically the process of generating a higher meditative state. LOS 42 cont. the achieving of a meditative state
- Sutra 43 is about meditation as the Soul and beyond. What stands in the way of this is the personality ego. This is explained. LOS sutra 43 meditation as the Soul or higher
- Continuation of Sutra 43 and into 44. How is that the practitioner perfects the state of meditation? Patanjali’s sutra is a shift and describes the maturing of the meditative state and art. LOS Sutra 43 cont. Patanjali explains the maturing of the state of meditation
- Sutra 44 & 45 using meditation in the life because our life is full of seeds for meditation. LOS end of 44, 45 and our life as meditation
- bottom of page 100 and what we magnetize to our life, and page 101 and my thought that Buddhist forms of meditation, including mahamudra and dzogchen have their origins in Patanjali’s sutras. LOS sutra 46 emphasis pgs 100, 101, Buddhist meditation and Patanjali
- Sutra 47. “The essence of this sutra is not about the super contemplative state, but about the balanced quiet of the chitta.” dmm I offer a stepping through of the quieting of the ego necessary for a quelled emotional nature which provides a quieter and balanced chitta. LOS sutra 47, balance of the chitta and the ego
Next week’s discussion will be on the last few sutras of Book 1, 48-51. Plus anything that anyone wants to bring up about Book 1.